Friday, May 14, 2010

Top Five Most Annoying Questions

I really am fed up of having to justify and explain myself to some people! Here are some of the idiotic things people ask on a weekly basis:

1. What on earth do you eat?!
What do you THINK I eat? Do you really live off only meat and dairy? No you don't. I eat vegetables, fruits, pulses, nuts, seeds, soya products and grains. I also eat a lot of meat substitutes and I enjoy my dairy replacements too.

2. I really couldn't live without pizza and chocolate, how do you do it?!
Erm, hello? I don't live without pizza and chocolate. In fact, I eat a lot of it! And I can still eat fried food and crisps.

3. Where do you get your protein from?!
I probably eat a lot more protein than you do, mister, seeing as I actually have to THINK about my diet. I get it from beans, nuts and soya products. Especially beans, I love them!

4. OK so where do you get your calcium from?!
Why do you believe that you need milk for calcium? Calcium is found in a variety of foods and you certainly don't need an abundance of it. We are the only species that drinks milk after infancy, and are also the only species that drinks the milk of another animal. It's pretty weird when you think about it. And guess what? Once we've been weaned off milk, we actually don't NEED it any more. We only need that much calcium when we're growing!

5. Where do you draw the line??
The real answer to this is - I don't know. And I'm not ashamed to admit it. I just do my best because it's all I can do. Sometimes I will slip up. Sometimes I feel bad about it, other times I just shrug it off and say it can't be helped. We live in a crazy world and it's tough to avoid cruelty 100% of the time. I just think that if everyone was more aware of what was going on around them and where their foods and other products came from, the world would be a lot better place. I don't preach. I don't ask people to become vegan or vegetarian... I just ask them to open their eyes and maybe try to make even one small change.

5 comments:

  1. i agree 150% with those questions...i was honestly gonna post something like this in the near future :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rick! Nice to meet you :) Love your blog by the way, I really need to get into raw food more, I have a couple of books and have given a few of the recipes a go and loved them! Maybe you could do a post about the most annoying questions you get about being a raw foodist? I also like the way your blog doesn't just concentrate on food, but on all aspects of health and nutrition, it makes an interesting read... I'll follow you because it will be a welcome break in my live feed, being able to read some different kinds of articles.

    Another annoying question I get asked, which I totally forgot to add in: "Do you not fart all day?" Haha!! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should print this out together with your answers and just hand it out. Because of course I gett the same questions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I probably eat a lot more protein than you do, mister, seeing as I actually have to THINK about my diet." this made me giggle - imagine, actually considering where your food came from?! the very idea!!

    i get some pretty similar questions even though i'm vegetarian. of course people always exclaim "so you don't eat eggs or milk?!" erm no, that would be veganism.

    and of course "if god didn't want us to eat meat, then why did he make animals out of food HAR HAR"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zoe! Sorry I didn't see your comment until now...

    "if god didn't want us to eat meat, then why did he make animals out of food HAR HAR"

    That's a pretty hilarious one alright. I never really know what to say to this one, I just roll my eyes and don't bother with them any longer. What do you say to this?

    ReplyDelete