Thursday, August 12, 2010

Thank You Lovely Boyfriend!

Look what my very kind boyfriend made for me today (he'll even hack through an extremely tough butternut squash for me, that's how much he cares)!
























My friend Jacqui has been raving about how amazing butternut squash chips are - a weight watchers zero point alternative for potato chips / fries, for the calorie conscious amongst us - so I bought one and thought we should give it a go. Our oven takes so much longer to cook anything than any other oven known to man, so they weren't as crispy as they should have been as I was very impatient to eat, but they were still incredibly tasty tossed in some Kentucky fried chicken style spices, drizzled with balsamic vinegar and dipped in sweet chilli sauce... mmmmm!

5 comments:

  1. what a great idea! i love sweet potato fries and these probably have a similar taste. they sound especially tasty when you mention the balsamic and chili sauce -- yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, must try these. Thank you for posting about them. I too am a lover of sweet potato fries so I reckon I'll love these too. How long are they supposed to take, about 30 mins?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi girls :)

    They are MEANT to take 30 mins in a preheated 200 degree oven. We did ours for about 45 minutes and they were still quite soft, I'm not sure if they should (or even CAN) be crispy like normal chips, but they are really nice all the same!

    A trick also is to microwave the squash for 3-4 mins first, to make it a bit softer and easier to peel/cut.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. I've got the opposite issue with a fan assisted oven that always does things quicker! Have you tried this Japanese 7 spice. I always put it on sweet potato fries. You can get it in Chinese supermarkets. It's really good.
    http://www.japanesefoodshop.co.uk/sb--shichimi-togarashi-seven-spice---assorted-chili-pepper---15g-37-p.asp

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard great things about it, so I picked some up the other day! I wanted to use it on these chips but hadn't tasted it yet so thought as the boy was making them and I wouldn't get the chance to taste it first I'd just stick to the KFC style spices for these ones :) Can't wait to try it though. Actually I can't remember if it's Chinese 5 Spice or 7 Spice? What else can I use it in?

    ReplyDelete