Saturday, July 17, 2010

Oh-ts My Goodness!

Now here's something worth blogging about - a healthy superfood breakfast that tastes like dessert!

A lot of people seem to be blogging nowadays about these vegan overnight oats so I thought I'd give it a go from the recipe they have all been using over at Oh She Glows. It's very simple to throw together the evening before, and then you just layer it up in the morning with your desired toppings. I chose to mix in a teaspoon of cinnamon, a layer of blackcurrant purée and a dollop of vegan chocolate spread.
























I used:
- 1/3 cup of oats
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
- just under 1 cup soya milk
- 1 small mashed banana
- dash of vanilla essence
- blackcurrant purée
- blob of vegan hazelnut chocolate spread

I wasn't sure what it would taste like, as I've never had chia seeds before. They swell up overnight, becoming soft in texture and look rather like tapioca. The mashed banana really adds sweetness without having to add any extra sugar. Next time I am going to try it with peanut butter & chocolate spread. I can just tell I'm going to be having this breakfast quite regularly over the remaining Summer days!

2 comments:

  1. You must try the banana soft serve on top. YUM! =) I am definitely going to try your version. What brand chocolate spread do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashley thanks for your comment! I see you're in Florida, and unfortunately I use a brand that is specific to the UK & Ireland, from a supermarket here called "Spar" and it tastes EXACTLY like Nutella! I don't know what varieties are available in the US, I am not really an expert on chocolate spread, although I know Plamil make one...

    Just had a look at your blog and your VOO's look lovely! I also love your little doggies ^_^

    ReplyDelete