Friday, May 21, 2010

Latest Treat Finds

Just a quick update about a few vegan treats I've found recently.

- Spar's own Hazelnut Chocolate Spread
This stuff is gorgeous and only costs €1.99! Thank you very much Blueberries for drawing my attention to this lovely spread. I've been missing Nutella and Forrero Rocher since going vegan, but now I can just have a spoonful of this amazing stuff to ease my cravings. I have been thinking about putting it on bagels with mashed banana, spreading it on crustless slices of brown bread and rolling it up to make little "swiss roll" snacks, as well as using it in baking or to sandwich two HobNobs together.... mmmmm.


- Tesco Light Choice Cereal Bars 
They are €1.99 and there are about 5 or 6 bars in a box. The chocolate & orange one is vegan, as is the blueberry & cranberry. I think the maple & pecan may also be vegan, I'll have to check again when I go to the shop next. I've tried searching on the Tesco website but I think these are relatively new bars with an improved recipe and I keep finding older products online which are similar but not quite the same. They are very low in calories (around 75-90cals depending on the bar) and make a nice little nibble in between meals.


- Flahavan's Oaty Flapjacks
These come in Original, Chocolate Chip and Cranberry and are Irish Only products as far as I'm aware. There are 6 bars in a box and they are only €2.00 in Supervalu at the moment - can't go wrong with that! Each of the varieties are vegan, but I'm currently having trouble getting hold of the Cranberry and Original flavours again. Cranberry (pictured below) is my favourite, but lately I've only been able to find the Chocolate Chip flapjacks. The chocolate ones are lovely and quite coconutty, they also have more of a crunchy rather than chewy consistency. Definitely one of my favourite shop-bought snacks at the moment.

2 comments:

  1. Omg - I heard rumours of Spar's own label hazelnut spread being vegan but could never find it here in the UK. We're moving to Ireland next month and can't wait to pick up some!!! Thanks so much for posting these, the flapjacks look good too -it's great to know what we can get over there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie, Sorry I didn't see your comment until now! I had no idea you can't get Spar's hazelnut spread over in the UK, I never really looked for it when I lived over there. It's certainly available in pretty much every Spar over here! Where are you moving to in Ireland? If you need any advice on where to get certain things just leave me a comment, or even if you'd like to meet up for a bite to eat and a bit of a natter - always looking for an excuse to go out and eat some nice vegan food! ;) x

    ReplyDelete