Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Beansprouts!


















I've been sprouting my own beans recently - here's a salad I made with sprouted mung beans. They are extremely easy to make. Fill a large jam jar about a fifth full with your dried bean of choice and soak it overnight. In the morning put some muslin or cheesecloth over the opening and secure with an elastic band. Drain the water out through the cloth and put the jar in a really warm place like an airing cupboard, in a box in a sunny porch or on the radiator. Rinse the beans well twice daily without removing the cloth on top. In about 2-3 days they should be ready for use and can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. I am also going to try green lentils, aduki beans and chickpeas. Sprouted beans are an excellent source of amino acids, B vitamins and protein. As they are a "living food" they are much more beneficial to eat than cooked beans!

I would love a sprouter jar like in the pics on this Wikipedia page. I think I'll search for them on ebay as I've never seen them in shops here but can remember my mother having some when I was little. I remember getting really excited watching the beansprouts grow, but haven't really thought of trying to have a go myself until now.

No comments:

Post a Comment