1. What is one food you thought you’d miss when you went vegan, but don’t?
Definitely cheese. I didn't think I'd miss meat much as I love meat substitutes, but I thought cheese would be something I'd be craving all the time. I used to love sitting down with a chunk of brie on some crackers and dipping it into warm vegetable soup... but I really don't miss it at all! I prefer pizzas without cheese (with refried beans instead) and I love tofutti cream cheese on crackers with cranberry sauce at Christmas and melted cheezley on pitta bread. I don't know how I used to like that smelly, salty stuff before!
2. What is a food or dish you wouldn’t touch as a child, but enjoy now?
I pretty much used to like everything as a child... but dark chocolate has really grown on me, as well as things like dates and prunes.
3. What vegan dish or food you feel like you “should” like, but don’t?
Since I was a kid I've hated raisins, sultanas, currants and rhubarb. So anything with those in is a big no-no for me. I never used to like bananas and was convinced I was allergic to them for about 28 years of my life! However I discovered I was ok when I ate one a few years back but I still don't like them in their raw fruit format, only mixed into baking and desserts. Also, I got pretty sick after eating tempeh not so long ago. I used to love the stuff but now I can't even bear the thought of it.
4. What beverage do you consume the most of on any given day?
I am really bad at drinking water. I really just don't like the taste of it. So I'd say coffee is what I usually drink, especially on work days! However whiskey may come a close second ;)
5. What dish are you “famous” for making or bringing to gatherings?
I am not famous for any dish I don't think!
6. Do you have any self-imposed food rules (like no food touching on the plate or no nuts in sweets)?
I like to eat desserts with a teaspoon, and sometimes I leave the best thing on my plate until last :)
7. What’s one food or dish you tend to eat too much of when you have it in your home?
Bagels with vegan nutella! I try not to buy them very often nowadays...! I'm also a big sucka for crisps and marzipan :)
8. What ingredient or food do you prefer to make yourself despite it being widely available prepackaged?
Pretty much everything. I love cooking from scratch as it always tastes so much better, but sometimes I'm just too lazy to do that, so I make do with the prepackaged stuff. Homemade soup is just THE BOMB though, but sadly I'm just way too lazy to make it all the time. Hmm, this reminds me - I really need to make some winter stews again soon!
9. What ingredient or food is worth spending the extra money to get “the good stuff”?
I don't really ever spend huge quantities of money on any groceries. I just try to find the best quality foods at the best prices possible! Asian and Indian markets are a real gem when it comes to this. However, that said, I do love to shop in gourmet shops from time to time but mostly won't buy something if it's extortionately priced. Although I do spend a long time sourcing the best alcohol, there's no compromising there!! ;)
10. Are you much of a snacker? What are your favorite snacks?
Yeah I snack all the time! I prefer to eat small portions throughout the day than eat big meals. I find it keeps me ticking over throughout the day. Nakd bars are my favourite snacks, or a toasted bagel, dried wasabi peas and broad beans, or some soya yoghurt. NOM!
11. What are your favorite vegan pizza toppings?
Definitely pineapple, refried beans, gherkins, sweetcorn, onions and BBQ sauce. Sliced seitan sausages are great too!
12. What is your favorite vegetable? Fruit?
It's impossible to choose one of each. I'm more of a veggies person than fruit though. I love butternut squash, sweet potato, broccoli, cauliflower, parsnips, roasted peppers, onions and courgettes. The fruit I like most are raspberries, melons, pineapples and mangoes.
13. What is the best salad dressing?
Balsamic vinegar, or just plain salt and pepper.
14. What is your favorite thing to put on toasted bread?
Pure sunflower oil spread, raspberry jam, blackcurrant jam, peanut butter or vegan nutella.
15. What kind of soup do you most often turn to on a chilly day or when you aren’t feeling your best?
Sweet potato and butternut squash, lentil, carrot and coriander, creamy broccoli or chunky vegetable. I love all soups!
16. What is your favorite bun flavour? Icing flavour?
Coffee, hands down!
17. What is your favorite kind of biscuit?
I love bourbon creams, hobnobs, pink wafers and anything homemade from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar.
18. What is your most-loved “weeknight meal”?
Lentil or textured vegetable protein bolognaise with spaghetti is a favourite comfort food of mine. Or vegetable thai curry. Then again pizza is good too!
19. What is one dish or food you enjoy, but can’t get anyone else in your household to eat?
Aubergines! Everyone else seems to hate the texture.
20. How long, in total, do you spend in the kitchen on an average day?
Probably a couple of hours, if I'm not super busy.
P.S. IT'S NEARLY CHRISTMAS, GUYS! WAH-HOOOOOO! :-D