Monday, August 16, 2010

Healthy Blackberry Polenta Muffins

I just made these little beauties from the "How it all Vegan" book I got on the weekend. I only made half of the recommended ingredients, just in case they didn't turn out well (and seeing as the boy isn't that fond of anything cake-like I guess I'm not going to eat THAT many muffins on my own, right?). But my oh my do I wish I'd made the full amount now! They are just SO good, and very healthy tasting as well... AND the boy loves them, so it would have been quite handy to have made more. Here's the recipe below. I substituted blackberries for the raspberries and rice milk for the soya milk, as it was all I had at the time. Half of the ingredients made 6 small muffins which would be ideal for breakfast, accompanied with some fruit and a cup of coffee.
















RASPBERRY CORNMEAL (POLENTA) MUFFINS
175g/6oz Cornmeal
175g/6oz Plain Flour
Dash of Salt
90g/3oz Sweetener
Three-Quarter Tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
4 Tbsp Oil
175ml/6fl oz Soy Milk
175ml/6fl oz Orange or Apple Juice
1 Tsp Vinegar
115g/4oz Raspberries

Preheat oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6. In a large bowl, stir together the cornmeal, flour, salt, sweetener, and bicarbonate of soda. Add the oil, milk, juice, vinegar and berries. Mix together gently until just mixed. Spoon into lightly oiled/non stick muffin tins and bake for 35-45 minutes. Test with a knife to see if done. Makes 6 large muffins.

Here's the inside of one of them, it's not like this all the way through, I just happened to break it open on a rather large blackberry! They are lovely and juicy and soft when they come straight out of the oven. I can't wait to make them again with raspberries. I might experiment and throw some random ingredients in next time, like some vanilla extract and some dessicated coconut!


No comments:

Post a Comment